New passive performance metrics in Tor

Karsten Loesing karsten.loesing at gmx.net
Tue Aug 17 11:52:35 UTC 2010

Hi Robert,

On 8/16/10 8:09 PM, Robert Hogan wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2010 12:17:47 Karsten Loesing wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm planning to add new passive performance metrics to Tor so that we
>> can better understand why it's slow and how we can improve it. Here is a
>> list of performance metrics we already have and a few ideas for new
>> metrics. If anyone has an idea what other metrics might be missing or
>> how we can improve the existing/planned metrics, please let us know!
>>
> Hi Karsten,
>
> Hope I'm not too late.

Never too late. :)

> This is connected to:

> It would be useful to know how many cells relays are sending to streams
> after they have received a RELAY_END on the stream from the client.
>
> On a poor-performing circuit terminating at a fast exit, a RELAY_END on a
> stream can result in up to 1000 queued cells getting flushed to a client
> that doesn't want them anymore. This wastage of bandwidth can't be remedied
> without just tearing down the circuit or resetting it in some way.
>
> This metric would tell us how much of this wasted bandwidth there is on the
> network and whether it merits action.
>
> I can implement for your review if you are amenable to the idea.

Where would this code be running? Only on the exit node?

What would we count? All cells sent to clients vs. cells sent or flushed
after seeing a RELAY_END for the contained stream ID?

Have you identified the places in the code where we learn about given
cells? I can write the code that keeps cell counters, manages
measurement periods, and formats results to be written to the logs or to
extra-info descriptors.

As for getting this stats code merged: We could write the code and ask
some friendly exit node operators to run our modified Tor version. If
the results turn out to be useful and we decide we want these stats from
most or all exit nodes, we can merge the code into master. I think Nick
wouldn't want to merge this into 0.2.2.x anymore, so that would be on a
0.2.3.x timeframe. But maybe we're already happy with the results from a
few exit nodes that we decide that merging isn't necessary.

I like the idea. Unless someone jumps up and says it's a really bad
idea, let's do it.

Best,
--Karsten