Bandwidth Measurement for Tor Server Nodes - hibernating the server code only ? ...

Cav cav at gotadsl.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 18:37:11 UTC 2010

Hi or-dev,

I have just spent a little time thinking about this and tinkering here.
I may not have been too clear before.

I ideally want to have my Tor installation acting as a server and a
client at the same time.
Failing that 2 machines are required, one as a server and one being used
as a client, which I think is not ideal.
If I could find a way to have it run as a server - a fast one - but with
limited bandwidth allocated, and then a client at the same time, I would
be happy.
Right now I have 384mb Recv and 78mb served, so the 2 numbers are not
necessarily symmetric.

At present with Tor, as you say, EITHER Recv OR Sent is used in
bandwidth limiting, with connections being blown away when the node
moves to hibernate state.

Ideally I would like only 'server'' connections blown away, but the
ability to act as a client intact so I can continue browsing with the
same node.
In this endeavour I have been playing with the code and so far I have
half the story covered, with only Sent bytes operating in the hibernate
code.
What I need now is to switch off the blowing away of 'Client mode' based
connection, and still enabling them be created. Though I am not sure if
that's possible ?

Of course, according to how the originators of Tor intended, I could be
barking up the wrong tree ?

With kind regards,
Cav Edwards