Proposal: Optimistic Data for Tor: Server Side

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Fri Aug 6 19:56:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Ian Goldberg <iang at cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
 [...]
>> They look like Tor version numbers, for whatever Tor version merges
>> the patch that implements this, and later.
>
> No, I mean that if someone writes a totally different implementation of
> the Tor server (say in some other language like Java or Haskell), how
> will the client be able to tell whether that implementation supports
> this feature?

We have no really good solution for this in general. It would be neat
to work one out, but that's probably a separate proposal. :)

>>  Do you want to make the tracker entry for the patch, or should I? :)
>
> Please go ahead.

Okay; it's live at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1795 .  You should
probably subscribe to that tracker entry to see any updates or
discussions about the patch.

--
Nick