GeoIP database comparison

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Thu Apr 29 16:08:03 UTC 2010

On Thursday April 29 2010 04:58:27 Karsten Loesing wrote:
> - Interestingly, trusted resolves 7368 requests to Nigeria with the
> Maxmind database, which were only 8 with ip-to-country. I wonder if this
> can be correct. Is Tor this well-known in Nigeria?

That seems high to me.  What about other countries like Iran and China?  When
China blocked the public list of relays in September 2009, we saw jumps of
bridge users in Australia and Japan the same day we saw the jumps from China.
This seems like imprecise assignment to me.

Iran's connections to the outside world go through Turkey, Kuwait, and
Azerbaijan, etc.  See,
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/presentations/images/iran-internet-
connectivity-TAE-14.gif

I wonder if we're over-counting other countries, even with the new database.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project

Website: https://www.torproject.org/