Attn controller developers: Removing old event formats in 0.2.2.

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Fri May 8 16:21:57 UTC 2009

Hi, all!  If you're writing a controller, I've probably been bugging
you to make sure you are using the EXTENDED_EVENTS and LONG_NAMES
features.  As of 0.2.2.x, I'm planning to make both of them always on
so we no longer need to support the old controller event formats.

To refresh, the LONG_NAMES format is necessary to keep a good idea of
which nodes are which when their named-ness could be in flux, and the
EXTENDED_EVENTS format allows us to add new KEY=VALUE elements to
controller events without breaking existing controllers.

You can try this out in the branch "remove-old-event-fmts" from
my public repository at git://git.torproject.org/~nickm/git/tor.
Please let me know if it turns out to be problematic; I'll merge it
into the master repository if nobody has objected in the next while.

peace,
--
Nick