Dropping version 0 hidden service descriptors

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Sun May 3 18:49:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 02:53:28PM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> (Is or-dev the right place to ask you to pull from my branch? Or is that
> going to create too much noise?)

Let's give it a try and see how it works out.

> I worked on dropping the version 0 hidden service descriptor format.
> This is my branch that does the following two things:
>
> - - Hidden services stop publishing version 0 descriptors.
> - - Clients stop requesting version 0 descriptors.
>
> The result is that both services and clients produce fewer traffic when
> advertising/connecting to services.
>
> The support for storing version 0 descriptors on the authorities is
> still in. Otherwise, 0.1.x hidden services and clients would stop
> working as soon as moria1+2 and tor26 have upgraded. We can still change
> this in 0.2.3.x. Or let me know if you want to drop it now. But in
> contrast to the changes above, leaving this in doesn't hurt traffic-wise.

Seems plausible.  So, the effect is that 0.1.2 clients won't be able
to use hidden services from 0.2.2 hidden servers, and vice versa?  It
doesn't sound disastrous.  Nobody should be using 0.1.2 anyway.

Two questions:
  1) Do we have some idea of what fraction of hidden services are
     still v0 only?

  2) Did you test that this works with 0.2.0 clients and hidden servers?

yrs,
--
Nick