Ipv6

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Wed Jan 21 07:25:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 07:56:05AM +0100, Marcus Wolschon wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 01:14:08 -0500, Nick Mathewson <nickm at freehaven.net>
> wrote:
> > Right now, though, the Tor development branch is in feature-freeze to
> > get ready for a stable 0.2.1.x release.  Could I ask you to remind me
> > to look at this patch again once 0.2.1.x is on a stable branch and
> > 0.2.2.x development is underway?
>
> Hello everyone.
>
> I had submitted a patch to allow hidden services to reside on
> IPv6-addresses in the last feature-freeze and was told that
> it would be shelved for 0.2.1.
> I have not heard anything about it since. Is it included
> in 0.2.1 and if not, what open issues exist with it?

Thanks for reminding me!  I just tried the functionality, and found a
bug in the code.  It should be fixed in svn trunk now.

Full IPv6 exit support isn't there yet, of course, but hidden services
on IPv6 addresses should work.  With trunk (or 0.2.1.12 or later),
you'd use a syntax like
   HiddenServicePort 80 [::1]:8080
to have a hidden service at ::1.

BTW, looking at the archives, I see that I told you that I would "be
sure to merge this patch once 0.2.1.x is branched".  I think I have
learned that I am forgetful, and so from now on, I should not say
"This patch will be merged later".  Instead, I should say "Please
remind me later if this patch has not been merged."  This way, there
will be two people trying to remember everything instead of just one.

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson