Random note from TODO.021

Steven J. Murdoch tor+Steven.Murdoch at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 24 19:10:40 UTC 2008

Hi John,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 07:29:47PM -0600, John Brooks wrote:
> [FirefoxPortable]
> AllowMultipleInstances=true
>
> When set to true, this will allow multiple copies of firefox (from the
> same or different binaries) to start, and does not need to be set on
> any other copies of firefox that are used.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do recall trying this out when I first
built the browser bundle, and had some problems. I don't remember the
exact details though (and that was with an older version of Firefox
Portable).

I tried it again, and it does seem promising. As far as I can tell, it
does the right thing to allow a normal installed Firefox to co-exist
with Firefox Portable.

There is a problem running an independent FirefoxPortable with Tor
Browser Bundle. When starting the second one, the error message
"Another instance of Firefox is already running". Still, this isn't
hopefully such a common case.

I'll try some more combinations, and if I can't break it, I'll ship
the next version with "AllowMultipleInstances=true". It's not perfect,
but it seems better than the current situation.

Steven.

--
w: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/sjm217/