Auto-Update -Feature - Was: Draft schedule for Tor 0.2.1.x.

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Tue May 20 17:16:24 UTC 2008

Hello Marcus,

Sorry for not making this more clear.  Thank you for bringing up that point,
which I will address in a moment.

I was referring to the 200,000+ users that are using Tor as a client.  Most
of the users are using Tor on a desktop or laptop.
I would put this 'in your face' alert on the shoulders of Vidalia, since
it's what most people use to control Tor.

So, back to the head-less server sitting in a data center.  Tor already has
a recommended versions that is sent out by the Directory Authorities.
Perhaps a LATEST_STABLE parameter could be sent out, and upon receiving an
update for LATEST_STABLE, one's own Tor instance could automatically update
itself.  Which brings us to the next question, how do we make this
controllable by the operator.  I purpose a AutoUpdate flag in the torrc.

AutoUpdate 1  means update to the LATEST_STABLE
AutoUpdate 0  means don't automatically update to LATEST_STABLE

Which one should be the default?  I bet there would be a lot of debate about
this.  I say AutoUpdate 1 should be the default.

Both options would of course create the appropriate logs messages in Tor's
log.
I'm sure there are a couple of technical aspect's of this I haven't
considered yet, but the general idea isn't a new one and has been done
before with lots of software products available today.

- Kyle

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Marcus Wolschon <marcus at wolschon.biz>