[jarusl at cs.northwestern.edu: Tor proxy for Virtual Machines]

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Fri Mar 28 17:41:23 UTC 2008

Forwarding this with permission.  It looks like interesting work,
especially for people pursuing VM-based anonymization strategies.

----- Forwarded message from "John R. Lange" <jarusl at cs.northwestern.edu> -----

From: "John R. Lange" <jarusl at cs.northwestern.edu>
To: tor-volunteer at torproject.org
Subject: Tor proxy for Virtual Machines
Hi,

As part of one of our research projects, I put together a small proxy tool
that anonymizes all TCP and DNS traffic originating in a virtual machine
(at least with VMWare or Xen). It currently runs under linux, but contains
very early support for Windows.

It plugs in beneath the Virtual Machine Monitor, so it is capable of
providing TOR support for any application+OS combination without any
configuration or special proxy tool needing to be installed in the guest
environment.

It works by configuring a VM's network adapter to connect to a host-only
network, where none of the packets are ever transmitted out of the host
machine. Every ethernet packet coming from the VM is then captured and
translated into SOCKs traffic that is forwarded to a TOR proxy. If the
packet is not supported then it is simply dropped and is never transmitted
on the network.

More info on the tool can be found here:
http://www.artifex.org/~jarusl/TorVTL/

While the paper can be found here:
http://www.artifex.org/~jarusl/research/pubs/hpdc07-vtl.pdf

I'm unsure whether this will be of any interest to people, but I figured
I'd let you know.

regards
--Jack
Jack Lange ; NU CS ; jarusl at cs.northwestern.edu