select()

Jonathan Yu jonathan.i.yu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:50:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Toby Douglass
<toby.douglass at 45mercystreet.com> wrote:
> Jonathan Yu wrote:
>  > Hi there:
>  >
>  > I am by no means an expert, but I don't think that this is the case.
>  > Tor uses libevent, which will automatically select the best I/O
>  > multiplexing system; this is probably anything but select() on your
>  > system. Hopefully it's an event-based system like kqueue (BSD) or
>  > realtime signals (Linux).
>
>  I omitted specifing that I am in fact running on Windows 2000.  Libevent
>  uses select() *only* under Windows.
I would suggest running Tor in a normal console window (not a service)
and seeing what log messages pop up when the slowdown occurs.

Optionally, you can dig through torrc (which is not included in the
Windows install by default) to find the appropriate option, or use a
controller like Vidalia to adjust the configuration so as to view the
log data.

>  BTW, I note this reply was to "or-dev at freehaven.net" and cc:'d
>  "or-dev at seul.org".  Why the two addresses?  I've left freehaven as a cc:
>  just in case.
I suppose I'm just registered to a different list, but they are
probably cross-posted appropriately.