select()

Jonathan Yu jonathan.i.yu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:41:59 UTC 2008

Hi there:

I am by no means an expert, but I don't think that this is the case.
Tor uses libevent, which will automatically select the best I/O
multiplexing system; this is probably anything but select() on your
system. Hopefully it's an event-based system like kqueue (BSD) or
realtime signals (Linux).

There will probably be logs in the Tor console if this is indeed the
case.... My first advice would be to take a look there. It may be
because your system has run out of memory and begun swapping to disk?
Not knowing the characteristics of your installation, it is difficult
to tell.

I hope this helps, but if you want more complete advice I suggest you
submit information such as your system specifications, operating
system, configuration, and so forth.

Regards,

Jon