Proposal 144: enforce distinct providers

Cat Okita cat at reptiles.org
Wed Jul 2 09:10:05 UTC 2008

I don't believe that this will have the intended effect.  If anything, I'd
expect to see this increase latency, and push more traffic towards exchange
points, where (depending on the structure of the exchange), an attacker could
easily monitor many providers at once, 'cheaply'.

Further, without correlation of leaf nodes that are partially or completely
subsumbed in a given AS, changing AS numbers isn't really indicative of any
useful characteristic.  For that matter, without correlating all of the AS
numbers owned by a given entity (an interesting challenge, to be polite),
there's no guarantee at all that a changing AS reflects anything at all.

Beyond that, if you're still talking about classful address space in this day
and age, I'd suggest that some consideration of modern networking might well
be in order...

cheers!