Proposal to mitigate insecure protocols over Tor

Kevin Bauer ksbauer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 22:45:04 UTC 2008

As a follow-up to our numbers on insecure protocol usage over Tor, we
developed a method for detecting certain types of exit node logging.
The basic idea behind our method is to 1) set up an authoritative DNS
server for a block of unused IP addresses and 2) send SYN pings to our
unused IPs through exit nodes. If any of the exit nodes perform a
reverse DNS query for the IP, then it shows that they were observing
the traffic. Certain configurations of tcpdump perform reverse DNS
queries in real-time.

After only 1 day of running the detection mechanism described above,
we got DNS hits from one exit router. Upon further inspection, we
found that it only performed reverse DNS queries when it was SYN
pinged through port 110 (the default POP3 port). It seems clear that
this exit router is targeting this "insecure" port, possibly looking
for usernames and passwords.

The router in question is:

Router Name: bytebutlerfour
Fingerprint: 8E17 BA28 629A 8272 8CB3 A642 D282 6DD8 EF56 240E
Contact: Mike <master at desastercenter.com>
IP Address: 84.189.5.52
Hostname: p54BD0534.dip0.t-ipconnect.de
Onion Router Port: 65001
Directory Server Port: None
Country Code: DE
Platform / Version: Tor 0.1.2.19 on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
[domain controller] {enterprise} {terminal services, single user}
{terminal services}
Last Descriptor Published (GMT): 2008-01-31 19:54:04
Current Uptime: 1 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 29 Minute(s), 46 Second(s)
Bandwidth (Max/Burst/Observed - In Bps): 20480 / 28672 / 23355
Family: $1D3EFD211CB0E230D2223CE72117FDF4665D445E
$1D93DCDFA5987EEC7B279B4583E989D178F91E73
$2FA9A64ADEBBB3A424E7D7891FB63C3AC652E675
$6640ADB2810AA20B616B5599BC422FC1D1394D02

Kevin