Running Tor Browser Bundle at the same time as Firefox

Steven J. Murdoch tor+Steven.Murdoch at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 25 20:05:43 UTC 2008

A long running problem with the Tor Browser bundle is that it cannot
be run at the same time as a non-Tor Firefox. There have been attempts
to fix this (e.g. [1]) while still using the FirefoxPortable launcher,
but they haven't worked too well.

So I've been experimenting with launching Firefox directly from
Vidalia. This now works (more or less), so I'd be interested in other
peoples' experiences of it. It's not ready for wide-scale use though,
as it's using an old version of Vidalia and might leave more traces
than the current Tor Browser Bundle.

If you're interested in trying it out, you can download it from:

 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sjm217/volatile/tor/tor-browser-1.1.8-altlauncher_en-US.exe

The source code is in the Vidalia subversion repository (alt-launcher
branch). That server appears to be down, so for now I've put the most
recent changes here:

 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sjm217/volatile/tor/vidalia-altlauncher.patch

I'd be very interested in comments and bug reports.

Thanks, and have a merry Christmas :-)

Steven.

[1] http://archives.seul.org/or/dev/Oct-2008/msg00012.html
    http://archives.seul.org/or/dev/Nov-2008/msg00016.html