[or-cvs] r16423: We put bw info directory into the consensus, also versions a (tor/trunk/doc/spec/proposals)

Peter Palfrader peter at palfrader.org
Tue Aug 5 17:37:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> > +   "w Bandwidth=193671"
> [...]
> > +  The bandwidth item is added as another item in the router tuple
> > +  described in dir-spec section 3.4:
> > +   | * Two router entries are "the same" if they have the same
> > +   | <descriptor digest, published time, nickname, IP, ports> tuple.
> > +   | We choose the tuple for a given router as whichever tuple appears
> > +   | for that router in the most votes.  We break ties in favor of
> > +   | the more recently published.
>
> Shouldn't we take the median here? The edge case of "all votes have
> different numbers" worries me, especially if we move one day to having
> the directory authorities measure their own estimates for bandwidth
> rather than just reflecting what's in the descriptor.
>
> (And while we're speaking of edge cases, if there are an odd number of
> votes, we can pick the lower median or the mean of the two medians.)

The bandwidth info comes directly from the server descriptor, as will
the exit policy summary (once I write that up).  This line should - at
least for now - be the one from the descriptor we are going to reference
by digest.

When we decide to come up with our own numbers then that logic should
obviously change, but for now I think it's fine.