[or-cvs] r16423: We put bw info directory into the consensus, also versions a (tor/trunk/doc/spec/proposals)

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Aug 5 17:29:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 12:29:20PM -0400, weasel at seul.org wrote:
[...]
>    tor/trunk/doc/spec/proposals/141-jit-sd-downloads.txt
[...]
> +   "w Bandwidth=193671"
[...]
> +  The bandwidth item is added as another item in the router tuple
> +  described in dir-spec section 3.4:
> +   | * Two router entries are "the same" if they have the same
> +   | <descriptor digest, published time, nickname, IP, ports> tuple.
> +   | We choose the tuple for a given router as whichever tuple appears
> +   | for that router in the most votes.  We break ties in favor of
> +   | the more recently published.

Shouldn't we take the median here? The edge case of "all votes have
different numbers" worries me, especially if we move one day to having
the directory authorities measure their own estimates for bandwidth
rather than just reflecting what's in the descriptor.

(And while we're speaking of edge cases, if there are an odd number of
votes, we can pick the lower median or the mean of the two medians.)

--Roger