Turning off a server

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Oct 9 22:59:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 06:54:33PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> > I think that's the "missing" element. There is no way that I know of
> > for a circuit to refuse any new TCP connection while still staying
> > open for existing ones.
>
> Actually, that feature exists right now. Look for calls to
> we_are_hibernating() in various places in the code (command.c and
> connection_edge.c in particular).

I think it might be smart to instead check "are we hibernating, or are
we not a server anymore" in these various places. I'd be happy to apply
a patch for that if one appeared. :)

It's not quite what Robert asked for originally though, since it won't
affect a very active stream that stays very active.

Perhaps a combination of refusing new requests plus throttling via
RelayBandwidthRate would be sufficient?

--Roger