[or-cvs] r11855: let bridge authorities write bridge descriptors to their cac (tor/trunk/src/or)

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Oct 12 08:00:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 08:13:29PM -0400, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> > Log:
> > let bridge authorities write bridge descriptors to their
> > cached-descriptors* files.
> >
> > nick, did i get this right?
>
> This looks fine to me, except for two points:
>
>   1) Your patch removes an assert from dirserv.c, in
>      dirserv_add_multiple_descriptors().  It's checking for
>      correctness in some fairly complicated code, so I'm putting it
>      back in.

Great.

>   2) The patch also changes the behavior of descriptors added via the
>      control interface: previously, they were cached or not cached
>      depending on their purpose.  Now, they're all cached.

Right. I believe the old behavior was viewed as a bug from the perspective
of the one controller that used this feature (Blossom). As far as I know,
no current controllers use it.

>      For compatibility, it's probably better to have the controller
>      POSTDESC command take a cache=0/1 argument, and have the defaults
>      mirror the old behavior.

Committed as r11892.

I plan to eventually change the default to cache=yes, so controllers
should explicitly pick one if they care.

--Roger