Suggestion: Many OR-ports would improve the network

vikingserver at gmail.com vikingserver at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 11:45:34 UTC 2007

The problem with Tor is that it's so terribly easy to stop. It's a piece
of cake to stop it for network admins and regimes that doesn't allow
freedom of speech.
For Tor to be able to allow freedom of speech and freedom of
information, it has to be unstopable.

Right now, it's mostly good for home users in the western world,
military and business users that want to use it for privacy reasons.
The Tor network could fill an important role against oppression in the
muslim countries and communist countries, and later in the EU.
Right now it really only helps home users in the relatively free world,
and a few others behind badly configured restrictive networks. Well
configured restrictive networks can easily stop Tor access.

A Tor client behind a restrictive firewall/proxy doesn't even reach the
dirservers, and has no way of connecting to the Tor network. Meaning
it's almost useless as a tool to allow freedom of speech in the whole world.

Decentralized popular P2P with a wide variety of ports and
"hubs/nodes/servers" are more successfull then Tor at helping persons in
oppressed countries.
Tor has to become better in order to allow users in the whole world to
reach every website in the world. But perhaps the goals is just to allow
traffic in the western world from non restrictive networks?

/Viking