Suggestion: Many OR-ports would improve the network

Cat Okita cat at reptiles.org
Thu Jun 14 23:58:01 UTC 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 03:28:09PM +0200, vikingserver at gmail.com wrote:
>> Is there a plan for TOR servers to be able to announce several OR-ports
>> and DIR-ports?
>
> There sorta is.  It's been a "nice-to-have" for a while, and I think
> it's a good idea.  Somebody should specify and implement it.  If
> there's a decent spec and patch on an 0.2.0.x timeframe, I'd love to
> check it in.
>
> Here's what would need to be in the proposal:
>
>  - Some way to configure which address:port combinations to listen
>    on, and/or which to advertise.

I'd also like to see some discussion of the effect this is likely to have
in environments that need to ban or limit Tor.  Speaking only for
myself, in an environment where I need to keep a lid on Tor usage, having
to chase port settings around makes it more likely that I'm going to
move from limiting Tor to just plain banning it.

cheers!