pre-proposal for IPv6 exit support, questions

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Thu Jun 7 16:58:30 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:27:35PM -0700, coderman wrote:
> On 6/6/07, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >i'd like some feedback on possible integration of IPv6 with Tor for
> >exit and DNS.
>
> one thing i forgot to mention, which is likely a large amount of work,
> is that representation of addresses in Tor should probably use a
> generic sockaddr structure

"struct sockaddr *" for pointers; "struct sockaddr_storage" for fields
in structs.

>                               at the interface level, and handle distinct
> types (IPv4, IPv6, UnixDomain) as indicated in the sa_family.
>
> even if Tor doesn't intend to support IPv6 for all hops in a circuit,
> it might make sense to do the sockaddr refactoring for all socket
> handling pieces, as one day Tor may want to support IPv6 in this
> fashion (and unix domain sockets for control or other ports).

Agreed, and I wouldn't worry about the coding effort.  This isn't a
hard change to do, and I think I've already marked all the places in
our structures where it needs to happen.  After all, "it's just a
simple matter of programming."

(Thanks to weasel, we already support Unix domain sockets for control
ports as of r10504.)

--
Nick Mathewson