Proposal: Two Hop Paths

Steven Murdoch tor+Steven.Murdoch at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 5 20:55:40 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 04:12:09PM -0400, Paul Syverson wrote:
> Two more related points: Complaints about Tor performance are generally
> anecdotal. Do we know the percentage of users that are on "broadband"?
> Do we know if users on dialup have on average any perception of Tor
> performance problems?

The paper "Performance Comparison of low-latency Anonymisation
Services from a User Perspective", by Rolf Wendolsky, Dominik Herrmann
and Hannes Federrath, might answer some related questions.

It doesn't deal with performance problems caused by the user's
Internet connection; in fact they go out of their way to prevent this
effect interfering in their analysis. However, it still gives
quantifiable measures of Tor's performance.

The paper can be found here:
 http://www.petworkshop.org/2007/papers/PET2007_preproc_Performance_comparison.pdf
and will appear in PET 2007.

Thanks,