Choose exitnodes in country x

Cat Okita cat at reptiles.org
Wed Jul 4 23:21:39 UTC 2007

Hi Wesley -

I'm going to presume that your email isn't advertising a commercial service,
which I'd certainly find to be in dubious taste, both from the standpoint
of inappropriate advertising, and from the moral standpoint of profiting
from the goodwill of others.

However - could you say a word-or-five about the privacy and anonymity
implications of connecting directly to your well known site, and then
asking for a specific exit node?

It seems to me that you're not only encouraging people to make highly
identifiable connections to a single location (stunnel or OpenVPN to your
servers), which would then be an excellent target for compromising
anonymity - but you're also then encouraging people to reduce their
anonymity by selecting extremely specific exit nodes, making it again,
easier to identify and target them.

I note that you're saying that Vidalia and Privoxy won't be required - is
your plan to run all of the user traffic through your server, and then
through the Tor network?

A comment on the implications of using a caching web proxy for Tor
users on your server would be interesting as well.

cheers!