ns/all and dir/status/all in tor stable

Robert Hogan robert at roberthogan.net
Sun Jan 28 13:30:26 UTC 2007

Hi there,

When is it planned to put the following two features into the stable release?

(i) getinfo dir/status/all to work even when the tor instance does not have a
dirport open.

(ii) getinfo ns/all

As you may have noticed I clumsily released TorK with getinfo ns/all
implemented. I wanted to stop using dir/status/all because of the overhead
attached and also because it still requires dirport open (not ideal for
client only users). When I saw ns/all had been implemented in 0.1.2.3 I
carelessly assumed it had also made it into 0.1.1.26 - I didn't really
understand that the alpha series contains features that will miss multiple
subsequent stable releases. Silly.

A release of either of the above changes into the stable series will solve my
problem. I don't really want to go back and re-open the dirport for client-
only users - because that was an oversight I was trying to correct in the
first place. For the time being a fixed version of TorK can run sub-optimally
without a server list.

Hope this doesn't come across as special pleading. If there is another way I
can get around this, I haven't spotted it so any suggestions would be
welcome.

Thanks for your help!

Robert
--