NETINFO cell spec ambiguities?

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Wed Jan 10 20:53:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 02:50:22PM -0500, chris at seberino.org wrote:
> Sorry to be pedantic.  I don't want to make any mistakes...
>
> The NETINFO cell section of spec right *before* section 5
> refers reader to section 6.4 for details of NETINFO cell payload.

Hi again Chris!

NETINFO is from the draft for the next version of the Tor spec.  It
isn't in the current version.  There may have been some confusinon
about which version _was_ the current version: I've tried to clear
that up.

You can find the latest current version of the spec at
   http://tor.eff.org/svn/trunk/doc/tor-spec.txt
with adjuncts at
   http://tor.eff.org/svn/trunk/doc/dir-spec.txt
   http://tor.eff.org/svn/trunk/doc/rend-spec.txt
   http://tor.eff.org/svn/trunk/doc/path-spec.txt
and interface notes at
   http://tor.eff.org/svn/trunk/doc/control-spec.txt
   http://tor.eff.org/svn/trunk/doc/address-spec.txt
   http://tor.eff.org/svn/trunk/doc/socks-extensions.txt

> It appears NETINFO cells must specify IP addresses and CANNOT
> just use hostnames but this is unclear from section 6.4 which
> allows for hostnames.

For reference, it will have to be IPs... once it's specified and
implemented.

> Also, I'm pretty sure the length part of NETINFO cell is supposed to
> be in units of *bytes* but this wasn't specified in section 6.4 or
> at least I missed it.

Yup, bytes.

yrs,
--