tor callgrinds

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Wed Feb 21 08:02:15 UTC 2007

Hi!  One more question I'd like an answer for, when you have the time:

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 02:34:55AM -0800, Christopher Layne wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 04:01:32PM -0500, Nick Mathewson wrote:
 [...]
> >     3. To what extent does -O3 help over -O2?  Most users seem to
> >        compile with -O2, so we should probably change our flags if the
> >        difference is nontrivial.
>
> I've found O3 to always benefit over O2. Primarily for:
>
>        -finline-functions

Can you quantify whether this improves Tor performance?  If it does,
I'll enable it for more recent GCCs.  I have heard numerous rants
about bad inlining decisions from 3.x gcc series, and numerous claims
that things were never that bad, and numerous claims that things have
gotten better.  At this point, I will believe nothing but quantitative
data.  ;)

(Note: I'm not asking for a history of -finline-functions here, just
numbers showing whether it helps us or not.)

peace,
--
Nick Mathewson