Problems compiling Tor with an altered libevent.

Christian King urzumph at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 10:36:43 UTC 2007

So for those of you who don't know me, I'm a SoC student working on the
Windows Networking side of Tor. As part of my project I have made some
fairly extensive alterations to libevent (with more to come) and now I
am trying to link my altered libevent with Tor.

So, here is what I have done so far:
In my altered libevent dir (available at
https://tor-svn.freehaven.net/svn/libevent-urz/trunk), I execute
aclocal && autoheader && autoconf && automake --add-missing --copy
./configure --enable-static --disable-shared
make clean
make
make install

(note the --enable-static and --disable-shared are as per the mingw32
compile guide)

Now, the correct event.h header appears to be installed properly because
it appears in /usr/local/include/event.h (under mingw, which corresponds
to C:\msys\1.0\local\include\event.h) Now, in a directory containing the
latest SVN trunk of Tor (r11315 at the time of writing) I execute the
commands:

aclocal && autoheader && autoconf && automake --add-missing --copy
./configure --enable-static --disable-shared

and configure fails with:
checking for libevent directory...
./configure: test: !=: unary operator expected
checking whether we need extra options to link libevent... configure:
error: Found linkable libevent in , but it does not seem to run, even
with -R. Maybe specify another using --with-libevent-dir}

I have also tried running ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared
--with-libevent-dir=/usr/local/include but this does not change the results.