Proposal: Suicide descriptors when Tor servers stop

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Aug 25 00:26:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 05:40:58PM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > C) But if we setconf orport from non-zero to zero, either via the
> > controlport or via a hup, then generate and send a terminate descriptor.
>
> As a side node, please note that updated directory information will not
> help people who have been banned from an IRC network.
>
> The usual approach on IRC networks is to perform some checks on connect,
> and if the check is positive to set a temporary KLINE that lasts from
> days to weeks.  If that client ever connects again the check isn't
> repeated, the configured KLINE matches immediately and rejects the
> client.

Would it be plausible to encourage these IRC networks (at least, the
friendly ones who know about tordnsel) to make the klines that they add

Even something like a few hours should be long enough to reduce the
query load to roughly zero, and should be short enough to keep people
on both sides happy.

--Roger