Packaging vidalia and tor permissions

Peter Palfrader peter at palfrader.org
Mon Apr 30 09:41:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Alessandro Tanasi wrote:

> I am packaging Vidalia (http://vidalia-project.net/), a front-end for
> Tor, for Ubuntu and Debian.
>
> Vidalia need access to /var/lib/tor that is 700 owned by debian-tor.
> So I need access to this directory for packaging Vidalia.
>
> Can you add group permission? Or i must set Vidalia setuid?

Could you please explain to me what vidalia wants in that directory?
Especially since all the files there are created without any group or
world permissions anyway.

And no, setuid probably is not the solution you are looking for.

Peter
[PS: I think or-dev only lets subscribed people post, but you should be
on that list anyway, if you package a tor-frontend.