A Java-based Tor simulator -- where can I share it?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Apr 23 06:24:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 01:41:51AM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> as a preparatory work for my GSoC project I implemented a Java-based Tor
> simulator that might also be useful for others (the other GSoC
> students?).

Great!

> Originally, it was intended to analyze behavior of hidden
> service requests in public and private Tor networks. But I think it can
> be used for other services in Tor, too. At least it can be a start to
> generate a first network configuration. If you want to read more, I
> attached the first section of the howto to this mail. And maybe you can
> read even more in the future......
>
> (and this brings me to my actual question): ...... where? How can I
> share this code? Can you host it at your Subversion repository? Or will
> Google host it (because it's part of the project)? I could also host it
> at the CVS repository at our university, but how would others learn
> about it (link)?
>
> The next question is about the code that we GSoCers are going to write
> during our projects: do you create a branch for each GSoC project? Or
> will we host our projects at Google or by ourselves?

We are happy to add projects like this to the Tor SVN repository when it
makes sense (and in this case it probably does). The usual approach is
for the author to put a tarball up somewhere first, so we can grab it and
look through it to see what it actually is, whether it's ready or wants
a lot of revision before it goes 'live', etc. If you don't have any place
to post a tarball, let me know and I can give you some web space on moria.

We'll probably want to make a new module in SVN for this, and for other
projects as they come up. We don't really have a formal process for
picking names for new modules, since we've only done it a handful of
times so far, so the current plan is to continue winging it. :)

> And the last question: What about licenses? What do I have to write to
> the code to include it in the license?

I'm not clear on what your question is here. Our favorite license
currently is the 3-clause BSD license, and the rest of the projects in Tor
SVN use that license too. If you want to use 3-clause BSD too, feel free
to grab the text of it from a Tor tarball, change the names, years, etc,
and now you have your own shiny new license. Is this what you were asking?

Thanks!
--Roger