DNS related Assertions with Tor 0.1.2.1-alpha

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Wed Sep 20 10:15:27 UTC 2006

With Tor 0.1.2.1-alpha running on FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT
my exit nodes used to hit:

[err] dns.c:596: dns_cancel_pending_resolve: Assertion ! resolve->expire failed; aborting.

several times a day, until I replaced the assertion with
a simple warning. Before the assertion is triggered,
launch_resolve() always complaints about:

'eventdns rejected address "$URL": error 1.'

$URL always is a complete urlencoded URL
and never a valid host name as it's supposed to be.

While this isn't Tor's fault, I think it would make
sense if the Tor client did some simple URL sanity
checks before passing forward any requests. From time to
time these broken URLs contain usernames and passwords.

Another assertion that I only got once so far is:

[err] purge_expired_resolves(): The expired resolve we purged didn't match any in the cache. Tried to purge delb.myspace.com (0xb948200); instead got delb.myspace.com (0x804b99c).
[err] dns.c:319: purge_expired_resolves: Assertion removed == resolve failed; aborting.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/