Policy for new Tor dirservers

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Mar 21 06:01:51 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

We've finally gotten the codebase to the point that we can start
adding new dirservers. Here's a first set of guidelines for how to
pick new ones.

(These won't be formal criteria -- we need to keep this loose since
we're making it up as we go.)

- Must be a low-downtime Tor server (computer as well as network).
- Must have a static IP.
- Must have been a stable Tor server for at least 3 months.
- Must intend to stick around for the next 12 months or more.
- Must be available to upgrade within a day or so in most cases.
  (While we're still developing Tor, we periodically find bugs that
  impact the whole network and require dirserver upgrades.)
- Must have sufficient bandwidth: 200 kB/s symmetric.
- Must promise not to censor or attack the network and users.
- If somebody asks you to backdoor or change your server, legally or
  otherwise, you will fight it to the extent of your abilities.
- Should be run by somebody that Tor (i.e. Roger) knows.
- Should be widely regarded as fair/trustworthy, or at least
  known, by many people.
- Dirservers (and operators) in a variety of jurisdictions are best.

--Roger