PAYLOAD_LEN bug in spec?

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Sun Dec 31 19:08:34 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 11:35:32PM -0500, chris at seberino.org wrote:
> At end of section 0.2 it says PAYLOAD_LEN is 509.
> Since CELL_LEN is 512 it appears
> that section 3 impies PAYLOAD_LEN is 509 for version 0 but *508* for version 1
> right?  Perhaps one should make version dependence of PAYLOAD_LEN clearer in
> section 0.2?
>
> Hope that helps.

From the preamble:
  THIS DOCUMENT IS UNSTABLE.  Right now, we're revising the protocol
  to remove a few long-standing limitations.  For the most stable
  current version of the protocol, see tor-spec-v0.txt; current
  versions of Tor are backward-compatible.

"Version 1" is currently a work in progress.  This seems to have
confused a few people, though, so I'm going to move stuff around, call
the work in progress "version 2", and put it in a file called
"tor-spec-v2.txt."

Thanks, good catch!

yrs,
--