README file for Mac OS X package

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Dec 16 22:38:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 04:43:52PM -0500, Geoffrey Goodell wrote:
> As it turns out, for .exit support, we will need a patched privoxy in
> order to deal with virtual hosts (as specified by the HTTP "Host:"
> field), and we may also want to modify "a" and "img" tagged URLs in the
> HTML body to reflect .exit locality as well.  This may mean that we
> would want to ship a hacked privoxy...

I would be much much much happier with pushing a patch for Privoxy back
upstream, and then just shipping a privoxy config file that makes use of
the feature. (It will take a while before users are using the new one,
but hey. You can instruct them to use the CVS version if they want to
use your feature.)

Tor is not going to get into the business of supporting Privoxy,
especially a Privoxy fork that alienates the Privoxy folks from us.

If you want to fork Privoxy and distribute a modded version, Geoff,
feel free, but I don't want it in the Tor packages.

Thanks,
--Roger