Windows and hidden service -- something incompatible with SSL?

Hideki Saito hsaito at comcast.net
Sat Aug 28 13:56:57 UTC 2004

Hello,
I'm actually pretty new to the list -- I was playing around with tor
code on Windows and found out something...

I was attempting running hidden service with config file:
HiddenServiceDir c:\\hidden
HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:8080

I was getting error:
Unhandled exception at 0x7c918fea in tor.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation writing location 0x00000010.

So I have studied the code for a bit and found out that:

Problem on the line:
	env->key = PEM_read_RSAPrivateKey(src, NULL, NULL, NULL);

Seems like something wrong with this call -- I haven't really stepped
into this function as it seems like this function is provided by OpenSSL
(it'll take forever to take OpenSSL compiled with my puny machine...)

Guessing it is something to do with way Windows name is handled?
Work around is to use Cygwin build...(sure I got enough compilers...)

Hideki Saito mailto:hsaito at comcast.net