Tor server monthly data transfer requirements

Douglas F.Calvert dfc at anize.org
Fri Aug 13 07:22:16 UTC 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 5:27 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:28:31PM -0500, Wes Felter wrote:
>
>> Tor will use as much or as little as you configure it to use.
>> 10GiB/month is about 4000 bytes/s, so you would just put the following
>> lines in your torrc:
>>
>> bandwidthrate 4000
>> bandwidthburst 10485760
>
> For what it's worth, I'm currently getting about 1 GByte/day extra
> traffic
> (can't pinpoint the amount precisely attributable to tor, any tcpdump
> recipes?),
> completely unthrottled.

Do:
kill -USR1 $tor_pid
and tor will (info)log the bandwidth rate. I think the rate is an
average for the last 12 or 24 hours but I may be way off. Regardless if
you send these to tor every hour or so for a little while you should be
able to get a decent approximation of traffic levels..

--dfc
Douglas F. Calvert
http://anize.org/dfc/ .::. GPG Key: 0xC9541FB2
A mystic in the sense that I am still mystified by things...