(FWD) Re: Servers with Dynamic IPs

Patrick McFarland diablod3 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 20:43:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:06:54 -0400, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from owner-or-dev at freehaven.net -----
>
> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:19:18 -0400
> From: Rachel Greenstadt <greenie at eecs.harvard.edu>
> To: or-dev at freehaven.net
> Subject: Re: Servers with Dynamic IPs
>
> Dialup users aside, students in Harvard dorms have dynamic IPs,
> but otherwise fast, reliable connections.  Still probably something
> you don't want to support yet, though.

There isn't anything wrong with dialup users. Lets say we have 10,000
dialup users, and 5,000 of those dialup users serve. That means its
now only 5,000 dialup users that the rest of the servers need to care
about. (Obviously not factoring in that users randomly connect to
other users).

The majority of net connections are dialup users, and we shouldn't
shut them out like this.

Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || diablod3 at gmail.com