ipv6

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Mon Aug 9 08:34:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:39:26AM +0200, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Hi Patrick!
>
> Patrick McFarland schrieb am 2004-08-08 16:00:55:
> > Does tor support ivp6 yet?
>
> It's not even that it does not support IPv6, it's even worse ... if I
> try to connect to a host that has both A (IPv4) and AAAA (IPv6) records
> in DNS, e.g. using Mozilla, the connection fails completely. This makes
> tor unusable at present for me, as I am visiting many IPv6 enabled
> sites.

I believe that this only happens when you are using Tor as a socks
proxy from Mozilla directly.  But you shouldn't do that; you lose
anonymity when your own host connects to the DNS server!  You should
use privoxy as a HTTP proxy instead; see doc/CLIENTS in the Tor
distribution for more information about why and how.

If this problem persists when you're using privoxy, please let us know.

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson
(PGP key will change on 15Aug2004; see http://wangafu.net/key.txt)