ipv6

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Aug 9 05:18:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:08:48PM -0400, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> > > Does tor support ivp6 yet?
> >
> > Not yet. We've had it on the low-priority todo list for a while.
> > But really, until all the tor nodes support ipv6, all nodes need
> > to at least support ipv4. My current plan is to get around to it
> > sometime before ipv4 becomes obsolete.
>
> Both need to be supported. I'm thinking you should just allow new tor
> clients to have both a ipv4 and ipv6 address, and in the public
> servers list on moria, just add an additional field for ipv6 address,
> which older clients (hopefully) would just ignore. (In my other mail
> thread, this would be one (net interface has native ipv6) or two
> interfaces (ipv6-in-ipv4 tunnel))

No, you misunderstand. Tor servers should be able to extend to other
Tor servers. While we keep that assumption, as long as there exists a
Tor server that only speaks ipv4, then all the other Tor servers need
to support ipv4 too.

And if they all support ipv4, then we're all set, end of issue.

So no, I don't think it's something that "needs" to be supported.
But all this said, it's still on our todo list. But it has low priority
since it won't get us much.

--Roger