ipv6

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Mon Aug 9 04:25:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:08:48PM -0400, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:07:58 -0400, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 04:00:55PM -0400, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> > > Does tor support ivp6 yet?
> >
> > Not yet. We've had it on the low-priority todo list for a while.
> > But really, until all the tor nodes support ipv6, all nodes need
> > to at least support ipv4. My current plan is to get around to it
> > sometime before ipv4 becomes obsolete.
>
> Both need to be supported. I'm thinking you should just allow new tor
> clients to have both a ipv4 and ipv6 address, and in the public
> servers list on moria, just add an additional field for ipv6 address,
> which older clients (hopefully) would just ignore. (In my other mail
> thread, this would be one (net interface has native ipv6) or two
> interfaces (ipv6-in-ipv4 tunnel))

I've added a specification to tor-spec.txt for how to do ipv6 _over_
Tor.  This doesn't solve the how-to-have-ORs-with-no-IPv4-addr
problem, but it should allow people to use Tor to connect to
webservers (and other services, of course) with only ipv4 addrs.

Once it's implemented. :)

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson