Servers with Dynamic IPs

Patrick McFarland diablod3 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 22:03:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:56:09 -0400, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 04:00:10PM -0400, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> > Is it possible to tell tor to just grab the ip from a network
> > interface, so people with dynamic ips can also be servers?
>
> Tough question. Tor refers to a node by its identity key now, so such
> a thing is possible in theory.
>
> How often are you thinking these people would switch IPs?

Whenever the connection dies. Im implying dialup here.

> What happens to outgoing connections when you switch IPs?

They die.

> Is there a way that applications are notified when you switch IPs,
> or do they need to constantly be checking, or what?

I'm not sure. If tor can be told to use a interface, it could just
poll once a second ro sommething.

> I've always assumed that dynamic IPs implies low reliability, low
> bandwidth, and high latency. Am I wrong?

It does. However, cutting off the mass of dialup users out there is a
bad thing imo. Having a bunch of dialup users with constantly changing
IPs may increase the effectivness of this network.

Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || diablod3 at gmail.com