Tor 0.0.2pre14 prerelease is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Nov 19 13:54:16 UTC 2003

You should upgrade. We've fixed all the old bugs, and probably introduced
some exciting new ones.

Note that 'make install' will clobber your torrc, so back it up if you've
changed it. If you want to use your old torrc, notice that APPort is
now called SocksPort.

Improvements since 0.0.2pre13:

Robustness and bugfixes:
  - Force the admin to make the DataDirectory himself
    - to get ownership/permissions right
    - so clients no longer make a DataDirectory and then never use it
  - fix bug where a client who was offline for 45 minutes would never
    pull down a directory again
  - fix (or at least hide really well) the dns assert bug that was
    causing server crashes
  - warnings and improved robustness wrt clockskew for certs
  - use the native daemon(3) to daemonize, when available
  - exit if bind() fails
  - exit if neither socksport nor orport is defined
  - include our own tor_timegm (Win32 doesn't have its own)
  - bugfix for win32 with lots of connections
  - fix minor bias in PRNG
  - make dirserver more robust to corrupt cached directory

Documentation:
  - Wrote the design document (woo)

Circuit building and exit policies:
  - Circuits no longer try to use nodes that the directory has told them
    are down.
  - Exit policies now support bitmasks (18.0.0.0/255.0.0.0) and bitcounts
    (18.0.0.0/8).
  - Make AP connections standby for a circuit if no suitable circuit
    exists, rather than failing
  - Circuits choose exit node based on addr/port, exit policies, and
    which AP connections are standing by
  - Bump min pathlen from 2 to 3
  - Relay end cells have a payload to describe why the stream ended.
  - If the stream failed because of exit policy, try again with a new
    circuit.
  - Clients have a dns cache to remember resolved addresses.
  - Notice more quickly when we have no working circuits

Configuration:
  - APPort is now called SocksPort
  - SocksBindAddress, ORBindAddress, DirBindAddress let you configure
    where to bind
  - RecommendedVersions is now a config variable rather than hardcoded
    (for dirservers)
  - Reloads config on HUP
  - Usage info on -h or --help
  - If you set User and Group config vars, it'll setu/gid to them.