Paper about static mix-networks

Marc Rennhard rennhard at tik.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 31 16:23:26 UTC 2003

Folks,

I've been writing up some stuff about 'why static mix-networks are
not suited to bring anonymity for the masses'. It's not finished yet,
but it should be readable and I need some feedback from experts.

http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~rennhard/publications/anomasses.ps
http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~rennhard/publications/anomasses.pdf

It contains a section about cover traffic schemes (this is not
new stuff, but I needed it to be written down clearly for
the rest of the paper), a section about
a quantitative analysis of how big mix-networks would have to
be to support a certain user base (depending on the cover
traffic scheme if one is used) including figures about dummy
traffic overhead. There is also a section about what I believe
is a realistic threat model for mix-networks.

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
--Marc

Marc Rennhard
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
Computer Engineering and Networks Laboratory (TIK)
ETZ G61.1, Gloriastrasse 35, CH-8092 Zurich
phone/fax: ++41 1 632-7005/1035
E-Mail: rennhard at tik.ee.ethz.ch
WWW: http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~rennhard
PGP-KeyID: C783C736, PGP encrypted mail welcome