path selection despite exit policies

Paul Syverson syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Apr 8 21:17:56 UTC 2003

> Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:00:54 -0400
> From: Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu>
>
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:28:56AM +0100, Andrei Serjantov wrote:
> > Can we not publish our exit blacklist somewhere? And ask the node
> > operators to keep it fairly uniform (I think conflicts on blocking
> > particular sites are unlikely). The entire problem then goes away -- if it
> > is blocked on one node, it is likely to be blocked on all (most).

[snip]

> I hadn't even thought about a blacklist based on sites that say "quit
> it".  It seems harder to do that than with Mixminion, because when moria
> connects to a random port on the victim's machine, there's no way to say
> "this was an onion router, not Roger, here's how you sign up to not have
> it happen again". Any thoughts on how to resolve that?

I was assuming that this was one of the main aspects to exit policies.
It was the only dynamic thing that was implemented in the original
onion routing network that ran a gazillion years ago.
You can see the policy at
http://www.onion-router.net/Policy.html
I haven't looked at it carefully recently, so I wouldn't be surprised
if it is way inadequate for us now. I just mention it as a suggestion
to look at and because it was something we actually did 7-8 years ago.

This also raises the issue that some time soon this site will need
a substantial face lift. I've put it off forever because it
always seemed like I shouldn't do anything more with it till we
are ready to distribute code. Will probably want some help with
that but not this week.

aloha,
paul