Confused!

Andrei Serjantov aas23 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 3 20:01:53 UTC 2002

> There are three ports an OR might listen on:
>
> * ORPORT is where it listens for connections from other onion routers.
> * OPPORT is where it listens for connections from onion proxies.
> * APPORT is where it listens for connections from application proxies.
>
> So if you're running a main onion router on your machine, and you query it
> directly from your application proxy, then you will never use the OPPORT.

Right. Thanks for the clarification. Got it working and connecting to your
OR's as well -- I forgot that *your* routers.or file needs to share my
entry in it, so I cannot freely edit the file as you lot would have to
update if I change my port numbers. Fortunately, there was an entry for
mosg there from last time :-))

> A mode of operation which hasn't been tested in a while, but might
> still work (I plan to play with it in a bit), is to set Role just to
> ROLE_AP_LISTEN. Thus you'll have an onion proxy that only makes outgoing
> connections to onion routers on demand.

I might try this too.

Thanks. I finally have a way to web browse anonymously. Did someone say
netscape has a way of switching to http 1.0?

A.