pre-alpha: run an onion proxy now!

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Sep 23 19:00:34 UTC 2002

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 05:14:01PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> The onion routing network is functional and deployed. It's not terribly
> diverse yet, but heck, it's just for show for now.

I've upgraded things (and they're not backward compatible). New
directions:

1) wget http://freehaven.net/or/tor-0.0.1.tar.gz
2) tar xzf tor-0.0.1.tar.gz; cd tor-0.0.1
3) ./configure (or do the two-line version from the README, if you're
   on bsd)
4) make
5) cd src/config
6) ../or/or -f oprc -l debug&
7) download privoxy (www.privoxy.org), and add the line
  "forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 ." (without the quotes) to its
  config file.
8) point your mozilla (or whatever) to proxy at localhost:8118 (this
  points it through Privoxy, so you now get good data scrubbing too.)
9) browse some web pages

Note that httpap is no longer in the picture; I've rewritten the onion
proxy to talk directly with Privoxy, via the socks4a protocol. (Yay!)

--Roger