pre-alpha: run an onion proxy now!
arma at mit.edu
Fri Sep 20 21:14:01 UTC 2002
The onion routing network is functional and deployed. It's not terribly
diverse yet, but heck, it's just for show for now.
1) wget http://freehaven.net/or/tor-0.0.0.tar.gz
2) tar xzf tor-0.0.0.tar.gz
3) ./configure (or do the two-line version from the README, if you're
5) cd src/config
6) ../or/or -f oprc -l debug&
7) ../httpap/httpap -f httpaprc2 -l debug -p 9051&
8) point your mozilla (or whatever) to proxy at localhost:9051
9) browse some web pages
Please (yes, you, the one reading this mail) follow these steps and let
me know if it works, or else where it failed.
Feel free to run steps 6 and 7 in the foreground in different xterms,
if you want to see what they're doing. Also you can give them "-l err"
rather than debug, if you want them to be mostly quiet.
There are still some features I'd like to add, of course, but I also
want to nail down a bit of stability first. :)
More information about the tor-dev