(FWD) Results of stress testing the current version of the Onion Router

Bruce Montrose montrose at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Sep 3 16:56:19 UTC 2002

I killed all the httpap's and restarted a new one and it still did not work :(

I had to kill off both the httpap and the OR on the first machine and then
restart them both before it would start working again. However, I did not
have to restart the other two onion router processes on the other two
machines. No messages were logged for either the httpap or the OR
processes. Logging was set at ERR for everthing.

However, I suspect that the output buffers may not have been flushed on the
processes that hung. Does anyone know how to make a process not buffer its
output so that it gets written immediately?

I monitored the progress of the test carefully, and things didn't start
going to hell until there were 64 simultaneous connections. The throughput
was about 35Mps up until that point. After 64 simultaneous connections
things locked up and all subsequent connections would fail.