I'm liking cvs...

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Jun 28 18:56:23 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 02:38:28PM -0400, Bruce Montrose wrote:
> I made my first cvs commit. Let me know if I did anything wrong or there
> are any problems.
> I have not committed all the changes that I have done because it was my
> first time and I
> wanted to commit something small and simple just in case.
>
> I must admit cvs is pretty easy to use and not the burden I thought it would be.

Excellent.

One thing I left out of the summary yesterday is what happens with you
get a 'C' status on a file when you run cvs update. This means there's
been a conflict. Normally cvs allows two people to edit the same file, and
as long as they don't both change the same place in the file, everything
works out. But if they do, the one who commits first wins, and the other
person gets a conflict notice when he does cvs update. His file in his
sandbox now has <<<<<<<< and >>>>>>> marks, specifying the old part and
the new part. It's up to the second person to fix his code appropriately.

Every once in a while people commit back code that has these <<<<<<<<
marks still in it. Don't let that be you. :) If you use cvs diff first,
it's pretty easy to avoid doing that (it also helps you write the commit
message).

The #1 rule for the cvs repository is "don't break the build". (Don't
worry, you didn't.) So always make sure things compile before you
commit. This also makes it clear why a "make tests" will be useful --
just because it compiles doesn't mean you didn't break it. :)

Thanks,
--Roger